Thursday, May 7, 2009

In a New York Minute

I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!

This year is just starting to really get good. I mean I've had a ball up until now but I think I'm finally getting the hang of things!

This past weekend we had silent retreat which got me thinking a lot more about the spirituality component of JVC which I kind of let fall by the wayside recently. I feel refocused now though and hope our community can start sticking to our spirituality nights and maybe even stir up random conversation on the topic now and again.

But anyway, work is just dandy. I finally got the reading classes off the ground and started tutoring two tenants this week. They are so eager to learn, it's awesome!! I'm hoping I can help them because they could really use it.

After reconnecting with the north communities on retreat, I realize how unique this experience is and how lucky I am to be around like-minded people who want to try to do something positive. It almost makes me want to do a second year. But even if I was serious about it, I guess I missed the boat on that one.

This past year has made me realize that I really want to work in social servies/schools. For a long time I denied that for some reason unbeknownst to myself, but it's true. I really think I want to be a guidance counselor, working with Yen Yen and Ray these last few days reminded me of how with the right direction to available resources, people can really improve their lives. If people don't know what is out there for them, they just settle for the lot their dealt. There are so many people to meet, places to see, & things to learn out there, it would be a shame to be ignorant to it all.

No comments: