It's finally getting nice outside!! I jumped the gun today and wore three quarter pants and a tank-top, I think I'm a little too excited about the predicted 80 degree weather for Saturday! Anyway, this is a short week for me, I'll be heading up to Syracuse tomorrow to visit Emily, Downing. It'll be interesting to stay with a community outside of JVC, we're apparently going to some kind of volunteer appreciation dinner tomorrow night, should be interesting..
Work has been relatively busy lately. I've been working with a tenant on developing a green initiative for the building. Its great to see that there are environmentally consious people out there that want to get others on board, but it's kind of draining. For one, the woman I have teamed up with is sooo DIFFICULT.. definitely a test of my patience. And two, it's scary learning about global warming, rising sea levels, deforestation, etc.. I have seriously considered becoming a vegan in the past few days, AND I LOVE MEAT! Ignorance really is bliss. But CG says we can't ignore the problem so I guess I have to suck it up and keep learning about the abuses I am inflicting on our planet. We set up a table yesterday for good 'ole earth Day and talked to a bunch of tenants, but I honestly don't think many people gained from it. We had people sign a petition to go plasticless and "Bring Their Own Bag" (curtesy of Leonardo Dicaprio's website, maybe that will stick with some people?? I'm trying to find a way to incorporate this whole "going green" thing in with my plans for making the CSA more of a community. I'm looking forward to the undertaking, but I feel like I'm running out of time!
On another note, one of the tenants died last night. The only interaction I had with him was taking pictures of him and his work at the art show and the short conversation that followed. He was really talented and seemed like a happy guy. His death is a sad reminder that life is short. I feel like a lot of older people are lonely. I was talking to one of the JV staff people and she mentioned that an overwhelming majority of the applicants for next year requested to work with kids (as they always do). What about the elderly?? They always seem to be forgotten. I often think that I don't want to live past the age when my hearing/eye-sight/mobility starts going because that's when people start getting annoyed with you and no longer want to bother. Poor elderly folk...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Colleen, it was great seeing u this weekend it was an awesome time even though u are lame n were falling a sleep...ps i will totally take care of u when ur old n can barely see n walk really slow even though u annoy me now ha oh n pss i think i need u 2 sing me another song on this broken guitar be prepared when we come to visit =0
Post a Comment