Tuesday, July 28, 2009

closing time

OK so, long time no write on my part. I've been pretty busy these last couple of months. I can remember my first few months here thinking that this was going to be a long year because half the time I didn't really have anything to do, but now there is always something. And honestly, there are a lot of things I still want to do that I won't get to.

With just a few days left here in NY, I'm experiencing a jumble of emotions. My largest anxiety at this point is telling two of the tenants at the PG that I am leaving. Many people know that I'm here just for the year through JVC, and I told a few people recently that I am going to be moving on, but there are two people in particular that I can't bring myself to tell. I work with them both once or twice a week on reading, and we've grown to really help each other and enjoy one anothers time together. They both have a long way to go, they know it, and are up for the challenge, leaving now, I feel like I'm abandoning them. Apparently whenever anyone leaves, the woman gets very upset because no one stays for very long here. I don't blame her, many of these people have no family, they spend time building relationships with staff members and then after a year or two, that relationship is gone with the person onto another job.

Honestly, I do not want to leave. I'm trying to get a job with our partner organization to extend my time here while going to school. I'm still waiting to here back on that position... hence further anxiety regarding an uncertain future! But I'm sure things will work out in time.

The last and arguably most difficult part of this experience coming to a close is leaving community, harlem and the greater JVC. I have made great friends this year! I am extremely thankful for the experiences and friendships, but sad that many people will be dispersing to opposite ends of the country and our relationships will change. I will miss JV parties, and community dinners, watching the Bachelorette with the girls, community nights, rooftop gatherings, going to mass together, doing the tourist stuff, even shopping at pathmark!

So in short, this has been an amazing year! I hate change, so I obviously do not want to move on, but just as last year I was hesitant to leave college, I realize that in being comfortable and not moving on, you can miss out on some great times and people! Although I know it will be difficult, I will leave this experience with an optimistic attitude for the future.

No comments: