Friday, September 5, 2008

I've been working now for 2 weeks and living in NYC for about 3 now. So far things have been great. My housemates and I get along well, and I love my job. Somehow I thought this experience would be more difficult though. I don't really feel like I'm on the front lines of anything. Some people are advocating for homeless individuals, working in shelters and soup kitchens, and my job doesn't come close to anything like that. As far as my living situation goes, at first I was a little skeptical about the neighborhood, it's strange to walk down the street and think "I'm white." Suddenly I've become aware of my status, at times I feel extremely out of place, and at others, especially when there are only friendly young kids on the street, I feel comfortable and like I belong. My job is fun and allows me to be creative, which I really like. I'm definitely learning patience, whether it be with my self, my housemates, or the tenants. I don't really feel like I'm volunteering though, I just feel like I have a regular old job, and live in a really nice apartment (even though the area is not that great). I mean there were/are a few things to get used to.. like the mice. This morning I went in the kitchen to make lunch and found a long tail hanging outside the mouse trap, that was fun. I have to do chores, like make dinner and take out the trash on a regular basis, something I am not used to (but granted, are very good life skills to have). I want to start volunteering outside work and thinking of more productive things to do, because right now I feel like I'm living the "high life" as opposed to my plan of "attempting to become a doer." Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying this experience, it is just not how I expected it to be. I do have to say though it has been the perfect transition from college so far, I'm just not so sure I'm carrying out the mission of the Jesuit Volunteers as best as I could be.

No comments: