Friday, December 12, 2008

Tough Times, Does a Solution Exist?

The tough economic times have made me increasingly aware of the value of supportive housing. With so many workers being laid-off, New York is soon to find many more homeless occupying the streets. Places like the PG have kept this problem slightly at bay for awhile, and now more than ever facilities of its kind are in high demand.

Unfortunately, I feel like the current economic troubles, are just the "tip of the iceberg." With an increase in joblessness, a whole host of societal problems are bound to follow. Each day things are getting worse, subways are getting dirtier, people are becoming pushier (understandably so), budgets are being cut (on programs that exist to avoid larger societal ill, without these programs solved issues will re-emerge as problems and more funds will have to be expended to correct them in the long run). I feel like I'm watching this city digress in slow-motion and there isn't very much I can do to stop it. Will New York revert back to the filth and crime of the 80s? Can such a prosperous and vibrant city fall from the graces of being a world mecca? Is there any way to stop what some consider the New York's "impending doom?"

No comments: