Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Success!



After retreat, my housemates and I decided that we were really going to make an effort to live simply and make the most of this year. Tons of ideas have been flying around about what we can do, and we've all been really excited about them.. I just find it incredibly difficult to follow through.

For example, this past weekend two of my housemates and I ended up watching hours upon hours of tv, granted it was a Friday Night Lights Marathon.. we did manage to go to the farmer's market yesterday and pick up some locally grown foods so I guess we're attempting to do our part, but I didn't realize how intentional doing the whole simple living would have to be to actually carry it out.

In other JVC news, I found out that all of my efforts regarding tenant volunteerism in the past few months have not completely gone to waste. I ran into one of the tenants I helped place at the AIDS service Center of NY. He went on and on about how much he loves his placement, his boss has asked him to take on more hours, and after his November performance evaluation, he may be offered a stipend!! That run in made my week. Sometimes I just think that people need to be made aware of all the opportunities there are out there for them and they'll find something that works out. The news has inspired me to look up more opportunities, think of new ideas, and attempt to get more tenants involved in service or employment.

Next week I'm starting a Hot Button Discussion/Reading Group. So far I only have two tenants signed up.. I'm starting to realize how hard it must have been for RAs to get their residents to engage in any of their programs. I'm really excited about it though and it should be pretty interesting, so hopefully I will be able to recruit some willing participants.

No comments: